Travel & insurance

It is important for HAE Patients to plan appropriate medical cover when travelling away from their hospital base in the UK and abroad.


When you have a HAE management plan that covers all possible emergencies, then you will be able to relax and feel safe.


Travelling in the UK for work or pleasure

  • If you are travelling more than half an hour’s journey from your own hospital base you will need to discuss the situation with your doctor so that he can advise you about medications, and what you should do in the case of an acute attack affecting the abdomen or throat
  • Carry a doctor’s letter describing the treatment you will need if you attend an A&E department
  • Carry your HAE UK Patient Information Booklet – Download the patient information booklet here
  • Carry your HAE UK Patient A&E Card (you can apply for a card by contacting Rachel,
  • Wear a medic alert bracelet or similar identification – see the medicalert website
  • Carry your acute attack medication – C1 Inhibitor or Icatibant
  • Before you travel check out accessible HAE centres – find an immunologist


The revised consensus guidelines recommend:

All patients should have an additional treatment plan in place to ensure their safety when away from home or abroad.


Every patient should hold a safe quantity (minimum of one) of acute treatment doses at home dependent on individual needs.


Each C1 inhibitor deficient patient should be able to manage his of her symptoms
 proactively in such a way that they maintain personal safety and minimal disruption in living a healthy and productive life.